Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Connecting With Readers or Writers?

When it comes to social media, I'm a slow learner. I still don't feel like I know more than 10% about how to twitter, and I don't have tweets, FB posts, or anything else go to my cell phone because I have enough trouble keeping the rest of my life in order without having the constant disruption of my phone going off with posts and tweets 24/7. One day I will become brave enough to allow my cell phone to function as more of a media device than it is, but right now, I just don't think I can take it.

At any rate, I'm digressing...as I tend to do.

The point is, I'm steadily learning more about this world of social media and getting "connected." I've been on Facebook for a few years now, but I only just got on Twitter a few months ago, recently joined Pinterest, and yesterday I got invited to my first tribe on Triberr. Go me! I'm also reading more blogs, which is helping me gain a lot of new knowledge.

One of the things I've learned is that a lot of authors maintain separate blogs for readers and for other writers. Logically, I asked myself, should I do that? I mean, when I put up writing tips, strict readers aren't going to get much out of those. Of course, everyone loves the Monday Muse. You don't have to be a writer to appreciate the Monday Muse. *waggles eyebrows*

I tend to think of my blog as catering to both readers and writers. Some posts are designed more for other writers, but other posts can be enjoyed by anyone. I don't write book reviews (and I have many reasons for that), but I would like to start posting author highlights of other authors from time to time, which would cater more toward readers. And I do post occasionally on what I'm reading and what I think of it (I don't consider those posts reviews), which caters more to readers.

So, what do you think? How many of you are readers and how many are writers? Would you like seeing me create a new blog for readers and keep this one for writers, or would you prefer to see me leave my blog like it is? If I break off with another blog, it's more for you to have to keep up with, and it's more for me to maintain, which is why I haven't created a second blog already, but I want to make it easy on you, my followers. Will my keeping one blog be easier for you, or will two blogs help separate what's for readers and what's for writers? You tell me.

I will admit I'm planning something special for down the road a bit, which might require another blog, but I won't go into that now. The idea is still in the planning stage and I need to iron out the rough spots. If I do create another blog for this special project, as well as two separate blogs for readers and writers, it's just that much more for you all to have to follow, and like I said, I want to make it easier on you, because I want to blog for both readers and writers, not just one or the other.

I tend to prefer one-stop shopping, but I know others don't mind hitting multiple locations. Which do you prefer?

Whatever happens, happy reading and happy writing!

D

2 comments:

  1. Not sure Donya. I've doing the same thing :-) I guess it all boils down to balance. How often would you blog at the two sites? I guess in a way, I have two separate blogs: one for fun, and one where I host other authors, but I don't post on it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be posting on both. I'll probably leave it like it is for now, but if I notice that both sides of the fence are getting busier, I might consider a 2nd blog.

      Delete